Wednesday, June 1, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re Charging controllers. amps - supplemental to 'amps explained'

 


Hi, Thanks everyone for the responses.
One of the advantages of getting group emails in daily bulk form is that
I have a chance to consider things while waiting.
The charging is maybe a non-issue, as I cannot yet sail, so for the next
2 yrs maybe, I am probably limited in range by my own fear! And for this
year, any elecric drive will be in the dinghy as a test bed.
So, I have time to tread softly with what I do.
I had never even considered that glass type might block solar
performance.
I prefer not to festoon the boat, which is old style, with a myriad of
panels. But I would if (when maybe?) I was intending voyaging any good
distance.
I have found another good location for a panel. There is a small rear
deck area, and I have already blanked off some vent holes that were
obstructions, as well as no longer needed for the now unused berths
below the cockpit seats, so now have an expanse of unused rear deck
area. And of course, the cabin top between the low raised moulded rails
that the hatch slides on. Maybe enough space, without looking like a
spaceship, to have 15 watts total.
My usage will be small for at least the next 2 years, a few interior
lights (LED) and maybe LED navigation lights, as well as the expected
few minutes of propulsion each useage of the boat.
After reading responses, I have to divert my main thinking over to
solar, from wind. This is for my initial setup only.
# 1 job will be to maintain the batteries to keep them from failure.
With only 2 batteries, hauling them home will be an option, but one I
will try to avoid. But good to have things covered.
Any range increase if occurring can be done using either the outboard
(Yecch, stinky) or a small 4 stroke generator, probably home built,
using two alternators, one for each 12v battery. But I will not be
bothering with generators to start with, as I can better use the cash
and time in getting more solar capacity somehow. Making panels? Hmm,
that might be good for custom fitting (and hiding) of panels. I could
probably double the capacity that way.
So, thanks for the extra knowledge, I can now let the thing develop
naturally. I will start with one 5 watt panel, a small cheap low tech
charge controller (with the intention of it being relegated to backup
later on) and can parallel the batteries when absent, and the panel is
hooked up.
The driving force after that will be a need to not have to get set up to
use the ice generation means.
I am actually in great shape as far as schedule goes. I am developing
some sources for motors, I hope. The dinghy is now painted. And summer
only just started. I can't wait to see how it will work, being a minimal
system, instead of competing with ICE engines. And if there are snags, I
just got myself a permanently electric dinghy. Win-win.
Thanks again,
John

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment