Thursday, December 9, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

Carlos,
It is recommended that you use a heat sink for both of those controllers you mentioned. It could be an extruded finned aluminum or a larger flat piece of aluminum. The Extruded finned aluminum is the better option as it can dissipate heat better for a smaller footprint.
Belt or gear reduction, if using the Mars motor, will be necessary to reduce the speed at the prop. I am assuming you are planning an inboard installation.
Doug

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Silva" <pahuac@...> wrote:
>
>
> Very interesting and useful information, David.
>
> I am finalizing my research for conversion of a 1954 30' wooden Phillip
> Rhodes which today has an 15hp outboard achieving up to 5.5 knts and
> spends 1 gal of gasoline per hour.
>
> After a lot of reading and navigation on the web, my decision lies on 2
> alternatives: the Sevcon Brushless Sailboat Kit
> http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product\
> _id=55
> <http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&produc\
> t_id=55> and the Solidnav Explorer http://www.solidnav.com/explorer.htm
> <http://www.solidnav.com/explorer.htm> . Besides cost within more or
> less the same funtionality, simplicity of installation is one of my
> priorities. I was also considering a Gen4 controller for the Sevcon Kit.
> Now I found through you that a Kelly 48301 is also an alternative to
> consider and also found on their site a Mars 3001 Kit
> http://www.newkellycontroller.com/mars-3001-p-677.html
> <http://www.newkellycontroller.com/mars-3001-p-677.html> which seems an
> even better solution from a cost stand point.
>
> An issue that is not very clear to me is the need for a heat sink or
> similar hardware which is only mentioned on the Sevcon 250 amp
> Installation Manual. Does the Gen4 also need one? What about the other
> controllers.
>
> Another thing I was recommended and am considering is the use of gear
> redcution. Since you mention it on your post, could you please send me
> the details? Having an outboard, currently my boat does not have all of
> the propeller parts, so any recommendation on this matter will be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlos
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <dj2210@> wrote:
> >
> > David
> > I just finished bench testing a Kelly 48301 with the Mars PMAC. I used
> four 12v 45ah UPS batteries. My PMAC is connected to a 2:1 gear reducer
> so really no load. With a tach on the gear reducer reading 1700 rpm the
> current from the batteries was about 12 amps. The Kelly was easy to set
> up and I got the throttle software option that allows one to use a pot
> centered to provide forward in one direction and reverse in the other. I
> also have tried the Sevcon gen4 and it also works good. The Sevcon is a
> sealed unit that IMO is more robust and better placed electrical
> connections.
> > Doug
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" suntreader@
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Group,
> > >
> > > I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my
> Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart
> batteries.
> > >
> > > A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had
> planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and
> its probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
> > >
> > > Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal
> before installation and before setting up the battery array. This
> conversion is part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six
> months before the boat heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries
> at the last moment so they don't just sit for that long. I can buy a
> small 48v power supply, but how much amperage is needed to test the
> system out? No need for full throttle, just turn on and spin the prop
> some.
> > >
> > > Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up
> something like this:
> > >
> > > http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
> > >
> > > First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a
> Honda 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off
> the power supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That
> could give some redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries
> or their charger, and I'd need the supply for running on the bench
> anyway.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > David
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment