Friday, October 10, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Ericson 27 Long Beach California

 

Doesn't have to be expensive. My re power cost me about $2500 or so, including batteries, after selling the old atomic for $300. Depends on how much you do yourself, and the components you use. I was more concerned with cost than performance.

I built the mount out of 4" and 1" angle iron, with 1/8" steel for the motor face plate. I used a Baldor 2:1 enclosed gearbox. Motor is ME0201014201 5KW motor fed from a Kelly KBL48301 controller. I used the existing tailshaft and 2 blade 12" folding prop. Control box homemade. Bank is 8 6v golf cart batteries from Sams Club. Charger was part of the controller kit which also has fuse, contactor, etc. Maybe more raw and basic than you want, but it illustrates the fact that you don't have to pay a lot of money to go electric. My boat is a Cal 2-27, 7600 lbs, just under 27 feet long, a bit over 9' beam I think, 4-1/2' draft.

You could go even cheaper with a used golf cart motor and controller, with either a reversing gearbox or a reverse contactor. Just remember that you can't use a brushed motor on a boat having gasoline or propane accessories.

Sky is the limit for drop in, turn key systems. The ease and the peace of mind might be worth it for you, though.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (27)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment