Sunday, October 5, 2014

[Electric Boats] Re: Seahawk 17 Project

 

Hi all,


Here's a little review of our summer. I tried out several different props on the transom mount MK55. APC props were definitely better than the stock MK props except in shallow weedy areas which includes our ramp and docks. We only got fouled badly once but I have serious concerns about relying on an APC prop in a thru hull setup. We went out more often because it was simply less time and work to get on the water. Testing wasn't as thorough or as standardized as it should have been and consisted of quick glances at my fluke meter and my wife's iphone gps. 

Battery life was fine for trips of 2-3 hours and I used a small yamaha genset and an auto battery charger for a 6 hour day w/o any problems. (I just strapped the genset down on the bow w/a ratchet strap and ran the charger cord up through the foredeck hatch. Less noise than a kicker but we did catch some exhaust. I thought about possibly bending some conduit and running the exhaust underwater but I only used it once.) Amp draw was around 20 @ 3mph which was a good speed for us. I didn't do any fairing on the motor shaft and I made no changes to the motor - everything was stock except the prop. I used a "blem" 12v golf cart battery ($60) but was pleased w/the speed, reliability, and ease of use. Once I began trusting it we left not only the mast and sails at home but the rudder, tiller and evinrude too for our trips together. I've already sold the evinrude 4.5. We only had one bad day w/25+mph winds and some chop coming back but the motor worked fine (we weren't directly opposing the wind but I did try and was able to make headway). My wife much prefers electric boating over sailing (no scary heeling!) and went with me a lot more than previously. 

So...here's some thoughts about where we are at. My wife wants electric - she's already suggested permanently adding a sunshade over the cockpit! I'm going to go electric but I haven't decided on whether to use this boat or purchase something else as I still like sailing. I'd definitely like to lose the transom mount motor control and use the rudder - it lets me sit further forward in the cockpit for better trim and better back comfort. It also provides better steering control. I've read where folks mount the trolling motor control head to the end of the tiller which might be something I would do. I'm planning on going w/2 quality batteries in the permanent install. Weight wasn't a factor at all and the boat trimmed out nicely and handled normally. I'd definitely consider carrying a backup transom mount trolling motor and the yamaha genset along w/our paddles in case of a serious fouling, problem, or extended trip. So while I am happy with the performance I have a few questions I'd like some help with before I start drilling holes in hulls.

The big question is rudder mount install or thru hull? I've heard pros and cons for both. A rudder mount would erase any worry about prop fouling.  Any idea on how a thru hull install will impact my boat as far as sailing performance? I like my boats handling and I think placing the motor behind the keel will protect it. See the pic in my first post. A lot depends on the prop.

Any suggestions on a reliable marine battery charger? My backup genset is a yamaha 1000w and I'd like to be able to run the charger off that in addition to charging at home. 

Would a 24v motor be a smarter choice? I was totally satisfied with the performance of the 12v motor but I want to do this as right as possible considering the amount of work it will be. A 24v motor would be more power if needed and less lost to resistance. I've also thought that a 24v run at 12v might be a better choice? The rpm's would be cut in half and would be more similar to a traditional sailboat prop running at slow speeds. 

Would a folding prop be a better choice all things considered? I'm especially concerned about fouling w/a thru hull install. I have a folding Gori 2 blade 11 1/2" diameter which I think will fit a trolling motor after machining an adapter but it definitely has some weight compared to the plastic props. I have clearance of approx. 2" between the Gori prop and hull in my prelim measurements? Any other considerations for a "weed free" high efficiency prop?

As always, your thoughts are appreciated and let me know if you think of anything I haven't considered.

Thanks,

Bill


__._,_.___

Posted by: billj474@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
Seahawk1.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment