Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: Charger design options

 

Meh. There is nothing wrong with an Arduino. One could view it as a right-priced development kit for the atmel MCU that it hosts. The really remarkable thing about it is the fact that it is so cheap and compact that one can deploy the entire arduino as an end solution for small market projects.

For myself I have no intention of sounding credible for anyone else's benefit. I build things using Arduinos and Raspberry Pis in my spare time, including an almost complete programmable battery-bank charger. For my full time job, I get paid to write embedded software for ground penetrating radar systems. As an amateur, I prefer arduino and pi to paying big bucks for a "professional" BSP (none of which are as well documented or tested as the Arduino or Pi), and then paying big bucks for a professional design and circuit to host a raw MCU and a bunch of additional components my project requires, then testing etc and all the rest of the manufacturing crap. It so happens that Arduino has created a whole ecosystem of excellent modules to meet almost any conceivable project need. They have been tested by thousands in all manner of use cases.

Unless I am counting on selling a few hundred or more, I will use a Pi or an Arduino in the finished product, and have a better tested and cheaper product as a result.

Cringe away.


On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM, matwete <matwete@comcast.net> wrote:
 

Suggestion: if you want to sound credible about your charger or controller development efforts, stop saying Arduino this and Arduino that.  It makes my ears cringe and sets off my amateur detection radar.  You know that you're working with a microcontroller,  right?


Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone




--

Dominic Amann
M 416-270-4587

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment