Saturday, January 25, 2014

[Electric Boats] RE: 48 volt solar panel array

 

I have a hybrid system on a Hughes 35.5. Diesel and 48v electric motor. I choose to skip the speed control and instead use battery switching. I have a bank of 4 12v batteries; two batteries are connected using a double pole double throw switch. Creating 2 banks with 2 batteries each. Using the DPSDT switch, each back easily switches from parallel(12v) to serial(24v). Adding another DPDT switch, I combined the the 2 banks and can now get parellel(24v) or serial(48v).


So I have three speeds for the motor 12v, 24v, and 48v. Batteries are serial or parallel dependent on switching


I can chose to run electric, diesel, both, or diesel charge.


In the charge mode I set the system to 24v and throttle back the diesel; since the 48v motor (now the generator) can run much lower rpm generating 27v (charging 24v batteries) then it would have to run to generate 54v (charging 48v batteries)


Cost is cheap - Switches about $35 each, Motor 48v 1000w - $360, I'm not sure why everyone doesn't do this.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment