Monday, January 20, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Thoughts on lithium after 1000 hrs runtime

 

Tom:

Thanks for the report. I've got an 48 volt AGM 210 amp bank that is still going strong after six years but, I'm interested to see how how the Lith Ions are holding up under actual conditions for when comes time to replace the bank. Which means somewhat of an expense changing my install charging technology in addition to the batteries. I'm still on the fence as to which direction I would go. But, am glad yours are working out. Good info.


Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com




On Monday, January 20, 2014 3:09 AM, "boat_works@yahoo.com" <boat_works@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
Hi All,
Today I had a nice 3 hour cruise in my launch which put the log over the 1000 hour mark. It took 44 months to get that many hours in.

It seemed like a good time to take stock of the theoretical potential lifespan of the battery bank. Sure, this is all based on the manufacturer's specs, but what else do we have to go on? This cell chemistry is still too new to have much real-world end-of-life info available. I can say that I have seen no degradation in cell performance.

These 180Ah CALB SE series cells are rated for 2000 cycles when discharged to 80% of capacity. So that would mean the total Ah available would be (180Ah)(.80)(2000) = 288,000Ah.

I have consumed 11,900Ah so far, which, if the specs reflect reality, is about 4% of the battery lifespan Ah. According to CALB, if I continue to use my boat as I have been, I have 85 years of operation left in these cells. Maybe I should put them in my will.

Well, we'll see... 

And just to stretch the point, CALB claims that after those 288,000Ah, the cells aren't actually ready to be replaced, they still have 80% of their original capacity available.

And other manufacturers rate their cells at 3000 cycles if the depth of discharge is only 70%. I've never had to run mine below 35% SOC, since I bring along a generator if I think I might need it.

So I might not use these cells up in my lifetime, or my nephew's lifetime....

Or they might have some sort of calendar life that we haven't figured out yet. Or maybe the lab testing might not match what we experience in our boats.

Time will tell. 
-Tom    


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment