Thursday, January 30, 2014

RE: [Electric Boats] Electric propulsion motors

 

I just recently retrofit some propellers getting ready to test our new electric outboard motor prototype from Volt boats https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1545038_873835950604_620856544_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1796494_873835985534_1080755533_n.jpg

We will be testing these on both our 500W and 1000W motors. I will post the results of these tests in the coming weeks.

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Carel Ruysink
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:09 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Electric propulsion motors

 

 



I agree with John. MinnKotas props have a very low pitch, good for sneaking around while fishing, but if you want to go from A to B???

Kipawa make "better" props but still have just a bit to litlle pitch.

I want to try this summer to use a converted Torqueedoprop on my MinnKota and do some experiments with model airplaneprops.When I have some results then I wille publish them here.

 

One more remark. MinnKotas are outboards and are designed as such. They are quite dependable but I would not trust the shaftseals to be submerged for weeks/months when permanently attached to the rudder.

If that would work it would be ideal but I have doubts there.

 

succes, Carel.

 

----- Original Message -----

From: oak

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:08 AM

Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Electric propulsion motors

 

 

David,

 

As an experiment, I tried using a MinnKota 24V Traxis 80 (80# Thrust) on my Catalina 22.

The motor would push the boat - up to a max of about 3.2mph into a moderate breeze (around 10-12mph).

 

The two issues I had with that motor were that 1) due to the low pitch of the prop, max speed still didn't get the boat speed I wanted, and 2) at full speed, the control head got hot to the touch within 30 min or so.

 

It sounds like it might do what you need.  But if you bolt it to the hull, you'll have a LOT of drag when you're sailing.  If you run the motor at slow speed, you could at least overcome most of the drag - though your boat would likely be able to sail faster than the motor can power it in a good breeze.

 

Good luck!

John

 

From: "mail@digiwis.com" <mail@digiwis.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:01 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Electric propulsion motors

 

 

I'm thinking of fitting a Minn Kota 24 volt RT80EM Saltwater Motor (80 Lbs. Thrust) or something similar, bolted on the hull near the rudder of my 23 foot sailboat.... this propulsion is just to get the sailboat in and out of the creek, not more than 300 ft until I can pick up the wind. Speed is not an issue, but we do have maybe a one knot tide worst case. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of propulsion? Are there any alternatives out there for hull mounted electric propulsion units? I don't want anything hanging over the transom.  Thanks... David

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment