Sunday, January 19, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: lower voltage batteries

 

Mike, Yes, I was hoping that I could use longer runs and "stash" the batteries in existing, unutilized space. If that's not a good prudent, knowing that 36v is feasible, I can construct a central bank. I know I can do it with LiFePO4. I don't know if I can afford them, however, so dimensions become a bit more critical for AGM.

I think this is all easily achievable once we talk specifics.

John


On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM, John Wujack <jlwuja@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

I'm ready to move forward after coming to the realization that a 36v system will suffice for Kittiwake. How do you and I proceed with the project using an Elco EP-600? Let's talk on Monday. Kittiwake is in Moss Landing. The reality is that it will take me until March/April to yank the Yanmar and have an blank canvas. It would be my hope to have her re-epowered by June/July.

I've also come to the realization that this conversion is well out of my sphere of knowledge and that I'll need professional assistance, so let's talk about this.

Regards, John


On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM, <mike@electricyachtssocal.com> wrote:
 

John,
This is Mike from Electric Yachts of Southern California.  You listed the benefits of electric conversion for you:
Easy of installation, this is with all the plug and play systems.
Weight, this varies according to the selection from about 55 pounds to about 200 pounds for the motor.  Battery packs with from 100 pounds (LiFePO4) to 250 pounds (AGM's)  - do not recommend flooded for your boat. I do not see needing 245AH 8D batteries (see projections).  You can push your boat with either a 36v or 48v system with ease.
Speed and Power (hull speed <6kts) (range 80% DOD)
  480w 3.1kts with 100AH AGM battery bank 24NM
  960w 3.9kts with 100AH AGM battery bank 14NM
1920w 4.9kts with 100AH AGM battery bank 8NM
2880w 5.7kts with 100AH AGM battery bank 6NM
A small portable generator will drive at over 3kts with the right charger
Easy of use, with a small boat like the Stone Horse the electric is simple, instant, less stress the boat, and more convenient to use.
I am not sure what is meant by the "split configuration".  Are you thinking of having the batteries pack built with a significant run between the batteries?  If so, that is not a good way to do it.  The batteries should be  only separated with modest cables lengths and the cable must be marine grade,well constructed, and aproperately sized. 

The big question is "Is it still an experiment".  Not really.  The issue is that the diesel became the defacto system in the 1970s and therefore still prevelant.  The same for the ICE in the car industry.  Today would you consider the hybrid to be "experimental" likely not.  Would you consider the all electric "experimental", maybe? It really is a feeling because as far as I know there are very few diesels the do not have electric starters (very dependable), electric fuel pumps, alternators, and electronic controls.  IMHO, for a small boat like yours the idea of the diesel noise, vibration, and fumes would keep me from enjoying the boat to its fullest.
Mike (somewhat biased)
Electric Yacht of Southern California



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment