Saturday, January 25, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: 48 volt solar panel array

 

I just wanted to mention that if you buy commercial / grid tie panels which are cheaper you need to make sure you get proper voltage to charge a 48v bank.

I bough several 24v commercial panels (sharp) at one point and was surprised that they would not charge a 24v battery bank even with a nice MPPT controller. This is because the nominal voltage of the panels was 24v even but to charge a 24v bank you need more than 24 volts you need like 25-30 volts or something like that. Unlike the off grid style panels the grid tie or commercial panels are made to be wired in series to get higher voltages that feed into an MPPT controller, but no matter what you have to have sufficiently higher voltage than your 48v bank coming in. Once I figured that out I was fine but had I bought 2 of them hoping to wire them in series and charge a 48v bank I would have been disappointed because I would have actually needed 3 of them to reach a voltage sufficiently above 48v to charge the bank. 
Just wanted to throw that out there in case it hadn't been taken into consideration.

Regards,
Rumi




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment