Monday, January 20, 2014

[Electric Boats] Lithium Battery sources?

 


Bob,
Where do you get Winston cells?
I did a quick google search, looks like they're made in China.  The graphic looks amazingly similar to what Balqon sells...  
coincidence?   :)

By the way - I'm a little confused by your calculations.  
For the 5mph case, 200AH * 48V = 9600WH
Allow for 80%:  9600*.8 = 7680WH
At 3500W, that should (ideally) last over 2 hours, which should get me at least 10 miles, not 4.3
What am I missing?
I know my Lead batteries degrade MUCH faster at higher power usage, but I thought Li (with much lower Peukert) was a lot more linear.


MAIN QUESTION, though:
Aside from Balqon and ThunderStruck, who else is a good source for Lithium batteries?

John



From: Robert Lemke <robert-lemke@att.net>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] C-30 with Torqeedo 4.0R

 
John,

I'm using the Winston cells and through my testing Peukert is nil so your range at those speeds and draw for 80% DOD would be.....

3.1 mph    19.5 to 21.7 miles
4.1 mph     7.6 miles
5.0 mph     4.3 miles

Cost of 48 volt (52 volts) bank @ 200 a-hr $3520.

Bob


From: oak <oak_box@yahoo.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:21 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] C-30 with Torqeedo 4.0R



 
I've mentioned a couple of times about having mounted a Torqeedo 4.0 outboard on my C-30.
I got a chance to go out today, since it was a really nice (winter) day  - Sunny, and upper 60's.
 
Here's the data from my run:
 
I only have a small bank of AGM batteries, so I can't run at high speed for very long without the voltage dropping off quickly.  However, I ran for a few minutes at several different speeds, and recorded:
 
700-780W  =>  3.1mph
2000W =>  4.1mph
3500W => 5mph
 
I ran about an hour at around 700-800 watts, and only depleted the battery from an initial fully charged level of ~54V (which quickly dropped down to around 48V), down to 47V.
 
The Torqeedo isn't a replacement for my Atomic 4, but is sure is a LOT quieter.  And if the prices of Li batteries would come down, or if I could win the lottery, I could see myself doing mostly electric if I could afford about a 200Ah bank at 48V...   :)
 
Have fun!
John

 
 






__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment