Saturday, December 28, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: new to the group

 

The 36V MinnKota has a maximum draw of 49 amps = 1764 watts = 2.3 horsepower (in theory). I really have no need to move quickly and will be very happy with 5 or 6 km/h. There are a couple of reasons I want to go with a pod (underwater motor) and why I'm going to get the MinnKota. First one is price - at 900 USD it's not bad for a complete solution with controller and "throttle". There is a German company which makes a nicer pod but the price is a little too far out there in the Toqueedo range. I hope it will be quiet because the motor is under water and I don't like the look of an outboard on a wooden boat. I also hope to run it at about 10 amps which should give me about 6 or 7 hours of run time per charge. That is of course only the plan - I'll have to wait and see how things work out in practice. On a side note... Too bad the Germans have to over-engineer everything. Do you really need GPS in a boat motor? I understand its pretty cool to have an LCD panel and all that information about speed and battery life, but all that comes with a big price tag...


It is my understanding that the shaft and gears in the outboard body will eat up some of the horsepower of your motor but I'm not sure how much - somewhere I heard about 20%.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (19)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment