Sunday, December 22, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] introduction

 

There are 3 ways of doing a conversion:
1) complete turnkey package
2) DIY kit
3) scavenged parts from donor vehicles (ie: golf cart)

How important to you is getting out sailing this summer?
How many evenings and weekends can you realistically devote to this project without incurring the wrath of a significant other?
How much fabrication experience do you have?

These first two questions probably have the most to do with the feasibility of a full DIY conversion.  

Either way, a propulsion package  for your boat will be in the neighbourhood of 5kw. This means a 48V system capable of operating at about 100A continuously. 

ElectroProp (I am in the midst of a conversion with this company), Electric Yacht and others on the list can all offer complete systems for under $5K, excluding batteries and charger. 

On the DIY front, there is the brushless kit from Thunderstruck. ElectroProp also sells equivalent kits using less-complete versions of the PM-20 system that I have purchased. Electric Yacht does something similar, if I recall. 

Some people here have converted their boats to electric by scavenging parts off a golf cart. Complete carts, with batteries and charger can often be found quite inexpensively. The batteries are often at end of life but it represents a full set of parts for under $1000. 

You also need to look at how you will be using the boat and what kinds of situations you'll possibly find yourself stuck in and pick a system appropriate to that.  At the end if the day, all any of us can do is advise. It's your time, your money and your boat.

I am converting my 30' sloop this spring. I am on a budget and yet, I am still opting for a lithium pack. My reason in no particular order are:
-lithium can be drawn down further, more often, than wet lead or AGM. 
- little to no peukert effect with lithium. 
- on a usable amp-hour basis, lithium really isn't much more than good AGM. 
- MUCH smaller & lighter than equivalent AHr lead pack
- individual AGM cells would be to heavy for my liking (>100lbs each)
- no need to access individual cells to check water levels (if I'd gone for wet lead)
- expanding the pack later will be simple. 

My pack will be a 5kwhr pack of 16x 100ahr cells in series for 48V nominal. That should get me anywhere on my lake at 4kts, there AND BACK if I slow down to 3kts. The pack will weigh around 125 lbs and take the space of two Group31 batteries. As others on this list have said, lithium pans should be available for under $0.50/WHr. So my 5kWHr pack should come in under $2500. It's a lot, but after much deliberation I decided the advantages were just too much to ignore. 

/Jason


On Dec 20, 2013, at 0:03, matt strickland <matthew_strickland@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

Hello,
I'm new to the group and joined because I've recently acquired an Alberg 30 as my first boat bigger than a 420, which I will ultimately convert it to electric.  As cost is an issue (when isn't it?), I may have to patch up the existing Atomic 4 first.  Does anyone have advice on the best ways to get the conversion done at lowest cost, even if it means coming back and upgrading components later on as funds become available?  I'd really like to convert now if possible.
Thanks,
Matt

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment