Tuesday, December 17, 2013

[Electric Boats] Brushless DC (BLDC) motors

 

I've been reading Charles Mathys' book - Electrical Propulsion for boats (2004). He makes a big case for AC motors but an electrician doing work on our house suggested BLDC. Mathys doesn't appear to believe these are available for boat power levels, but when I googled "5kW BLDC motor" I got plenty of hits and it seems the way to go as they are more efficient than conventional DC and have fewer sparking issues. A useful explanation is here.

Now what I have to do is to find a reliable supplier in or closer to the UK. There are plenty on offer from the far east but I'd like some assurance of reliability and support if they misbehave. Does anyone have any thoughts?

One comment I've seen suggests they may be a bit noisier than other designs. Is this an issue?

Chris

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment