Friday, December 27, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: new to the group

 

 
John,
 
I've conducted several experiments with a trolling motor vs. a Torqeedo on my Catalina 22.   And I have to say, what has been said here on the forum proved correct:
 
I tried a Traxxis 80, 24V trolling motor - it had sufficient power to push the boat.   But the prop was sized such that it just couldn't go any faster than 3-4 mph (at FULL throttle).  (and, by the way, at full throttle, the head unit started warming up pretty quick.   I didn't run it at high speed for more than 20 min.)
 
I considered the engine mounted solution too - but now would be very careful, based on what I saw above.
 
How fast are you wanting to go?
If you're ok with puttering around at 3mph, then it should be fine.   But if you want to get to 5mph+, unless they have a substantially different prop, it just may not get there.
 
John

From: "john@eng21.org" <john@eng21.org>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 4:27 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] RE: new to the group

 
I think I have finally reached the ends of the Internet in my search for an inexpensive, yet practical motor solution. :)
I have decided to use a MinnKota engine mounted trolling motor (model EM101). Looks to me like the mounting bracket can be taken off very easily, and you are left with a 36V motor pod complete with controls for around 900 USD. I plan on mounting this into a kick-up rudder so there is no "technology" visible topside. There is a salt water version available as well, but only 24V.
The boat is a slightly modified 16ft Lynx from Selway Fisher. - bit.ly/1dHmdI3




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment