Friday, December 28, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Think inside the box revisited

 

You still haven't made your case...although I could have missed something in what you've written, it seems to me that you mentioned your 60 watt motor power suggestion then abandoned explaining how this 60watts would achieve the original goals.

From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

----- Reply message -----
From: "Kevin Pemberton" <pembertonkevin@gmail.com>
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Think inside the box revisited
Date: Fri, Dec 28, 2012 7:11 am


 

Hi all,

In a previous post I suggested running your motor at, well 60w( I guess
a mistake) and it was taken wrong. Mostly it was taken wrong because I
did a poor job of stating my case so I will try again.

When I stated think inside the box Myles, returned with "while I was
thinking outside the box". I must say I meant think inside the box. I
have a simple 750w inverter in my rig. When I get up in the morning and
the temp inside is below 50 deg F. the inverter will not work. I have
two options. One is to start the fire and wait an hour for the inverter
to warm to it's operating temp, or turn it on with a 5w load(an LED
light rope that tells me it is working again) and wait 5 minutes to use
it. The efficiency of the inverter is quite good and it uses slightly
more than the LED I am plugging into it, but the temp of the mosfet tech
inside reaches at least 15 deg above ambient in no time.

On the other side of the stick the ambers inside the stove I measured at
around 1000 deg with inferred thermometer. The stove sides measured 350.
deg. The shield around the stove measures 175 deg. and the wall 74 deg.
It takes the house over an hour to warm to 78 deg if it ever does
without a fan. Another example of internal heat vs. applied heat is the
body. internal temp 98.6 deg. Because it is so efficient it does little
to heat the house in winter but must be considered in the summer if A/C
is used. Although it doesn't waist much energy in comparison to work, it
is able to maintain it's operating temp with some insulation. If placed
next to another body on a cold night, it will help keep optimum temp in
both bodies, but not with much air space between them.

Applying heat is inherently inefficient. Pot skirts help when heating
with applied heat on a stove, but nothing works as well as internal
heat. For this reason when electric stoves came out, GE also offered
inductive heating stoves. Because they limited cookware options, they
were not to popular. Industry sometimes uses inductive heating to bend
large tubes. In motors inductive heat is the enemy. Laminates are used
to reduce the effect thus increasing efficiency but the losses are not
eliminated and fans are used to control it. It is for this reason
thinking inside the box(motor) is not such a bad Idea. As for the
controller I just stated my case with the inverter example.

I hope I better stated my case this time. All my previous statements in
my other post still apply.

Kevin Pemberton

P.S. The incubator purchased at a hospital auction uses applied heat in
the form of a 160w light. Also not a bad idea I just felt there was a
better one.

--
Committing murder in exchange for lifestyle
makes you a "thug" not a "Rights Activist"

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment