Saturday, December 22, 2012

[Electric Boats] Re: Flat belts

 


Just an idea for everyone, if you design around a common toothed belt used in in automotive say like the timing belt used in honda 4 cylinder then you can pick up a spare at any auto parts store. Use multiple belts for high horsepower applications.

Ron

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Steve Marshall <steve.marshall@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All
> I have been a noncontributing observer for some time but am now prompted to
> add my bit on the subject of belt drives.
> Several years back I began looking at using electric propulsion for a
> small,(8M) very light weight, trailer trawler (see my blog Marshall design
> trailer trawler.)
> Several things occurred that caused me to go with a
> more convectional diesel engine and gearbox.(a brand new Cummings
> A2000 diesel and gearbox gifted to me was the main one)
>
> However part of my design included the use of a belt drive to transmit
> power to the prop shaft .
> There were several reasons for this and in fact some surprise benefits.
> to cut this short I designed a drive that used a "Gates polychain carbon GT
> belt (62mm wide) and cogs and shaft collars also supplied by gates .
>
> Gates offer an immense amount of information and have a very good design
> program that can be down loaded after a bit of rigmarole.
> I'm extremely pleased with how my unit is working, and I'm transmitting
> power from a 47 hp diesel that has moderate too server shock loading
> compared to an electric motor .
> Anyone looking for a drop down or reduction drive would be well advised to
> take a look at there belts and cogs.
> If interested I can supple photos of my drive unit.
>
> Steve Marshall
>
>
> --
>
> *Steve R Marshall*
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment