Sunday, December 30, 2012

[Electric Boats] Newbie

 

Hi everyone

My name is Phil and I live in Swansea, Wales. Yes, that's right, home of the best soccer team in the UK!!!

Seriously, I am a retired heating engineer with a few health problems (arthritis) and a long time interest in all things renewable, recyclable and sustainable. I own a Coronado 25 sailboat and I am the owner of the C25 Yahoo group.

The boat is currently powered by an ancient, thirsty, noisy and smelly Suzuki 8hp 2 stroke outboard which is unpleasant and expensive to use. Also, at a gallon per hour, the range is limited by the amount of fuel I can carry. (15 miles on a full tank plus spare cans)

I have built, from Ebay bits, 2 electric bikes, my main means of transport and used most days. My current bike has a LifePo4 battery which has extended my range considerably.

Linking these two concepts made me think about powering the boat electrically. Way before I owned her 'Lucy' used to have an inboard, a 2 stroke petrol Stuart Turner engine. The mounts and prop shaft are still there but the engine and prop itself are long gone. The boat is 40 years old and not really worth spending lots of money on but is ideal for experimentation.

My idea was to fit a motor which could push me along at about 5-6 knots max, which is what I get from the outboard, and just about sufficient to fight the tides here in the Bristol Channel with it's 40' plus rise and fall. The outboard is fitted in a lazarette in the stern which would then become free to fit a small petrol generator for battery charging should shore power not be available.

My current batteries are a mixture of lead acid car-type and a bank of 10 ex-military Ni-Cads which are trickle charged via a small solar panel, with a boost from shore power when at my home dock, and only used for the vhf, nav lights and entertainment (radio, music, etc)

Cost is a major consideration as I am on a relatively small income.

I will explore the site with great interest and would be grateful for any input from members.

Thanks

Phil Bray

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (54)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment