Monday, December 17, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Using a MinnKota 55 as a thruster

 

Hi Bill , 

   Tried it with the  same result of  just over 1 mph  34 ft boat   .  Tried 2 motors with negligible speed increase.   Just doesn't move enough water. 

On 2012-12-17, at 10:28 AM, stmbtwle wrote:

 

I see no reason it wouldn't work and I don't think any modifications would be needed, as trolling motors are already designed for high thrust, low speed.

Some years ago I tried pushing my 35', 9 ton houseboat with a 24# thrust Minn Kota (stock prop). I got 1mph both ways per GPS, in a dead calm. I had no problems with control, but if there had been any wind it would have been a different story.

Biggest problem I could see would be stopping.

Bill

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Robert Schulke <robert.schulke53@...> wrote:
>
> My neighbor uses an MK 55 as a thruster to maneuver his 20 ton boat around
> the marina, like to the haulout dock. Does anyone else out there do
> something like this? Have you changed props to deal with the high thrust,
> low speed requirement? Any other tips?
>
> Thanks!
>


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment