Sunday, March 20, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Water Cooled Electric Drive

 



I've never seen the innards of a PMAC motor, and this discussion about cooling is interesting to me since I may want to add cooling to my installation this summer.

Since the windings are generating the heat, what is the thermal path from the windings to the motor case? Is there a sizable contact area between the two which will allow the heat to transfer effectively?

If not, then perhaps blowing air through the motor is the best bet...

I had considered (and still might build) a hollow band that would be fitted around the case of the motor to circulate water. I was planning to use aluminum to minimize galvanic issues. The band would tighten over the portion of the motor that has no cooling vents. The water could be closed-loop to a small heater core with a fan for cabin heat. A small pump could be driven by an eccentric on the prop shaft.

The controller doesn't seem to need much cooling, so I thought about simply putting a fan blade on the prop shaft to move air around a bit in the vicinity of the motor and controller.

I suppose the best way to move air through the motor is with a suitably ducted blower aimed at the motor.

Still thinking this one through.
-Tom

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment