Friday, March 25, 2011

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Cost Saving Idea Abandoned!

 

 

John, here is what is said at the Advanced Motion Control site, the units I have 4 of says:

 

 The B100A20 PWM servo drive is designed to drive brushless DC motors at a high switching frequency. A single red/green LED indicates operating status. The drive is fully protected against over-voltage, under voltage, over-current, over-heating and short-circuits across motor, ground and power leads. Furthermore, the drive can interface with digital controllers or be used stand-alone, and requires only a single unregulated DC power supply. Loop gain, current limit, input gain and offset can be adjusted using 14-turn potentiometers. The offset adjusting potentiometer can also be used as an on-board input signal for testing purposes.

 

 

 

 

Now if you asked me what that means I would have to say I’m not sure. But the motors seem to be happy with them in place so I guess I need them. Most of the guys here are running smaller rigs than me and can opt out and use simpler systems. They are mostly day sailors and limit their run times to a few hours. I want to be able to sail wherever I want to and have a boat big enough to do that with a system and backups to maximize those run times in the comfort the Admiral demands and expects. This is only coming up on my 3rd season owning “Electra Glide” and most of the first 2 years has been spent on getting things right and the way I want them so this year a lot more time will be spent up and down the Bay to test improvements out with the proper equipment to tell me what’s going on.

Yes it is more expensive up front on a bigger system but it goes with the territory. It’s a bigger boat. But if you take the cost of upgrades out and normal Sailboat maintenance I ended up buying 42gal of fuel and purchasing 1 spare controller for emergencies ($1500). That’s really the only spare I need for the propulsion system other than a few 25 cent fuses.

And I agree with you 1000% on the batteries! I’m betting on a few more years and we (with Electrics) will be way ahead of the rest of the pack (ICE that is).

 

Steve in Solomons MD

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment