Friday, March 25, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: What happens when an electric motor gets wet.

 

Thanks Eric.
I guess I start with the boat.
If I do manage to get it , then I'll start doing it up , whatever needs to be done will be done.
I'll set up the sailing aspect of it too , as well as can be.
Again , 2 fields I can use expert help from a boatbuilder about 1/2 an hour away.
Then , make the decision , of whether I can go hybrid or not.
I can see a very practical reason to go hybrid , because to motor sail with the diesel won't be good for the diesel , while it would be perfect for electric power , and the battery weight will be no problem , I'm going to have to put ballast in the boat anyway.
All electric is out , its just not practical at all.
But I could spend 3 times the dollars on a hybrid setup what I paid for the boat , and have something that is going to worry me , if it can't handle a bit of water.
Make haste slowly.
Regards Rob J.


From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 26 March, 2011 3:13:37 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: What happens when an electric motor gets wet.

Just a few thoughts. 

While a diesel will continue running when splashed with sea water, the alternator and starter motor are no more protected than a typical electric motor.  So if you haven't experienced failures in those components in your regular operating conditions, then an electric drive attached to your diesel shouldn't be any more at risk than the other e;ectrical components.

If you're deealing with adverse (worse than normal) conditions, I'm not sure why you would rely on the 6hp electric drive rather than the much more powerful diesel sitting right there.

You've hit on one of my basic opinions.  I don't see any practical reasons to go with a hybrid system in our boats.  The benefits seem limited against the thousands of dollars of additional expense, increased complexity of an additional drive system and the addition of 250-500kg of onboard energy storage.  Alternatively, I do believe that electric drive instead of diesel (or other ICE) is a reasonable tradeoff for some use cases, but certainly not for most recreational boats on the water today.  The "good" use cases that would justify a diesel-hybrid installation appear to be a much smaller subset than all-electric to me.  And you've seen the US statistics that I've posted that explain why I believe that all-electric is appropriate for less than 1/2 of 1 percent of pleasure boats.

So I'm glad to help dig through the technical aspects of an idea, even if I'm not a proponent of the overall concept.

I'm glad that you've been able to think this through a lot farther, though I believe that the water intrusion issue may not be a critical factor in practical usage.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> I've got to say , I'm a little disappointed in the result of the responses to
> this question.
> Thank you all , for your response .ut it appears a diesel hybrid could be
> compromised by a dose of sea water in the electric motor.
> I would have thought the Nanni hybrid would be more robust , but apparently not
> .
> I'm sort of reluctant to throw a lot of money at something that is going to let
> me down if the going gets tough.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment