Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats

 

Fair enough , yes , you are talking about sailing skills.
I have at the moment a beautiful Oughtred Gaff cutter , which is a stunning sailboat.
But my real interest is fishing under sail , so I need a sailing system that is very forgiving , because often I'm hauling in fish , when I should be tending the sails , or even the tiller , quite often we just leave her to her own devices .
We have done a fair bit of motorsailing with her too , as late as last Sunday , and yes , she picked up considerably , with little engine power.
So , now I want to get a boat that is a fishing boat , that I intend to electric motorsail a lot.
I'll be interested in any techniques that make fishing under sail/electric motorsailing easier.
I'll be setting the next boat up probably again as a gaff cutter , but thats not cast in stone yet , I'm looking at what is easiest to manage , that gives a low and consistant centre of effort , whether under full sail or reefed , and that is fairly forgiving .
I guess its whatever rocks your boat (pun intended).
Regards Rob J.


From: acsarfkram <acsarfkram@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, 29 March, 2011 4:59:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats

Hi Rob,

Electric motorsailing is a great use for EP. I find a small amount power (2-10 amps) will markedly increase speed and pointing.

What I am getting at is the ability to sail in light winds. With the reduced range of EP compared to ICE I think this is important. I guess if we can discuss portable generators, spinnakers should be ok, right:-)?

I increase my time under sail by having an asymmetrical spinnaker furled on a sprit. By being on a furler I am able to set/douse quickly and easily from the cockpit and it is ready at anytime I'm sailing. This is really helpful when singlehanding. It can make a difference of sailing at 4 - 5 knots with the spinnaker or 2 - 3 knots with just the jib.

Mark
Santa Cruz 

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry Mark , I'm just a dumbo , you will need to explain further.
> I'm looking forward to electric motor sailing , I believe it will make ordinary
> sailboats look a lot better , particularly at slower speeds.
> But I'm not sure what you mean.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: acsarfkram <acsarfkram@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tue, 29 March, 2011 1:08:31 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats
>
> I hesitate bringing up this subject here because it is not technically "electric
> boating".
>
>
> I feel electric sailboats have an increased need to excel at SAILING in the
> lower end of their operating range and would be interested in what others are
> doing to accomplish that.
>
> Is this too far astray or ok? Where to go if not ok here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> Santa Cruz
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment