Sunday, March 27, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Two sheet skiff with inboard scooter motor.

 

Thanks! I'm using an AVR MEga16 for my controller(it's what I had laying around) I'm glad you mentioned the TB, I doubt if ill generate that much thrust but it's probably a good Idea to extend the life of my motors.


--- On Sun, 3/20/11, George Schnellman <vectorges@gmail.com> wrote:

From: George Schnellman <vectorges@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Two sheet skiff with inboard scooter motor.
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 20, 2011, 5:08 PM

 

I have a similar plan. Arduino, pwm, two potentiometers. I have the electronics part working with LED's so far. Do a search on "packing gland". Also try regular boatbuilding sites., same topic. Remembe that you will need a thrust bearing somewhere in your setup to counteract the attempt of the prop to push the driveshaft into the boat.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM, stollte <stollte@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first boat build. I built a small (7' 6") two sheet boat(I'm surprised how well it turned out) and now I'm considering using two scooter motors to propel it. I figure with two props in the back I could steer by varying the speed of ether motor or even reverse one to turn tightly.

I'm good with the electronics so I'll have no trouble making a motor controller etc. I just need help on the boat part as I'm a total beginner.

My questions, to anyone who has any ideas or knowledge.

a) How do I run a shaft through the hull without leaking water?
b) How deep/what angle does the prop need to be for effective thrust?
c) How far from the back of the hull should the prop be positioned.
d) anything obvious that a beginner would miss.
e) What kind of torque is typical of a trolling motor, rpm, picking a prop etc?

Any links to DIY inboards for really small boats would be helpful and anyone using a scooter motor.

Comments suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment