Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Portable generators

 

I've cruised with mine for over 4 years. The case always stays cool. I have a tiller so it fit just fine on my stern cockpit hatch, and fits inside the hatch when I'm not using it. Since I'm on the hook with no other alternate power, I use it often to charge batteries and run 110 stuff.

Nanci Whitley
The Journey #1314
Palm Coast Florida


-----Original Message-----
From: electric_seas <electric_seas@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, Mar 29, 2011 6:44 am
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Portable generators

 
How often do you run it? My goal is to not have to use a generator, and so far, since I don't have one, I've been successful. ;-)

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> Tom:
>  
> I would think so. The Honda 2000 has a powerful fan that cools the generator and does not rely so much on ambient cooling. The heat is ducted through lovers in the back. In fact I  used it to pretty good effect this winter melting the ice at home while also draining the fuel tank at the same time:
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011/01/snowbound-sailor-help-me-honda.html
> The rest of the case stays pretty cool. I think the big issue would be if the case fits on deck. My Honda just fits on the port quarter of my deck with the exhaust facing aft. I'm not sure if this case would fit on my boat at that location. But, it might on other boats.
>  
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>  
>
>
> --- On Sun, 3/27/11, Tom <boat_works@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: Tom <boat_works@...>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Portable generators
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 3:51 AM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Do you suppose there is enough airflow through those enclosures to provide adequate cooling when running at full output?
>
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Sally Reuther <smreuther@> wrote:
> >
> > For those of you wondering what to do about that portable Honda on deck -
> > check out these two enclosures built by Maritime Plastics here in Annapolis.
> > This is an excellent way to help protect that generator. I just happened to
> > come across these when I was checking their website for contact info.
> >
> > Sally Reuther
> >
> >
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Kevin Pemberton
> > <pembertonkevin@>wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Eric,
> > >
> > > What do you consider enclosed space? Is the boat a hazard? is it wired for
> > > explosion proof? Can any fumes find a way below via breeze or any other
> > > means? Don't get me wrong, I had my honda on deck for years. I finally
> > > built a deck outside the transom for the thing to keep the hazard as low as
> > > I could.
> > >
> > > Kevin Pemberton
> > >
> > >
> > > On 03/16/2011 03:41 PM, Eric wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi Tom,
> > >
> > > You mentioned that the portable generators are not ignition protected, but
> > > there's not much in the way of volatiles onboard my boat any longer. There's
> > > the canisters of the alcohol stove with a jug of spare stove fuel and a
> > > small lamp with liquid paraffin. Of course, there's the gas tank on the
> > > generator itself, but do we think that ignition protection is still a
> > > reasonable requirement?
> > >
> > > Like you, I only run the generator on deck and for me, the charger plugs
> > > directly into the generator.
> > >
> > > Fair winds,
> > > Eric
> > > Marina del Rey, CA
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ubuntu10.04, Acer AspireOne, Virgin Mobile 3G Broadband2go.
> > > Doesn't get any better than this!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment