Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats

 

Myles, I have a 20 meter kite that I'm planning on trying on both my Nacra and Stiletto this summer...   there are several other kite boats on UTUBE, one is on a F24 Trimaran in Hawaii.   And if you want bigger there is a 50 meter kite that is really a thrill ride in a dugout canoe...  Dave k


From: Myles Twete <matwete@comcast.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, March 29, 2011 3:50:13 PM
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats



Well, since this is thread is getting more about wind power than electric, I'll throw my wind interest in the mix.

Why settle for sails when you can go with a kite?

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW50qhXVBqE&playnext=1&list=PL37D2140F2AC8D5B8

Warning: Language not suitable for sensitive ears.

-mt

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of acsarfkram
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:25 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] electric Sailboats

 

 

Hi Eric,

I saw a Bomar Rollgen at a sailboat show years ago and was inspired to make my own ($1600 was hard to justify for the Rollgen). Here is a video of a Rollgen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922qmirqimk&feature=related

Mine is a much more Frankenstein looking contraption I'll add a photo to my photo file under Lotus Flower.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Running the risk of de-railing this conversation, what are you using to furl your asym? I've got a furing screacher and a furling Code 0 for my trimaran, but I would like to add a real asym to run deeper. I'm looking for people with practical experience furling that type of sail since I usually don't have 4 people aboard to fly one free.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
>
> PS, my tri has a dinghy with a Torqeedo, so it loosely qualifies for this group. :)
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > Electric motorsailing is a great use for EP. I find a small amount power (2-10 amps) will markedly increase speed and pointing.
> >
> > What I am getting at is the ability to sail in light winds. With the reduced range of EP compared to ICE I think this is important. I guess if we can discuss portable generators, spinnakers should be ok, right:-)?
> >
> > I increase my time under sail by having an asymmetrical spinnaker furled on a sprit. By being on a furler I am able to set/douse quickly and easily from the cockpit and it is ready at anytime I'm sailing. This is really helpful when singlehanding. It can make a difference of sailing at 4 - 5 knots with the spinnaker or 2 - 3 knots with just the jib.
> >
> > Mark
> > Santa Cruz
> >
>




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment