Tuesday, March 29, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Experiences with Sail-powered Regeneration?

 

Greg,

Since your prop is in an aperture on a Bristol 32, you may have little chance of any real regen from the drive train. A modern boat with a fin keel and an exposed prop will do much better, it's that configuration that most of the regen discussions in this group are based on. I'm running a fat 4 blade prop in a aperture, but haven't had the conditions to sail the boat in regen speed territory since the my conversion came online. Hopefully, in the next few months, I'll be able to tell you if I've been able to get any sort of regen under sail.

Unfortunately, in our light SoCal conditions, with my old blue water boat, getting her into a groove above 5.5kts is not as common as I'd like. On the other hand, my need for sailing speed is covered with my F-27 trimaran, where I can hit 6kts of boat speed in 5kts of true wind. My top speed to date on Witchcraft was just under 17kts for over 30 minutes a couple of summers ago. It's a completely different animal...

I'll keep you posted on the regen thing.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA
1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 ketch - Serenity

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "electric_seas" <electric_seas@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric, Jak, Richard and all,
>
> I have an Asmo Marine Thoosa 9000 installed on my Bristol 32 sailboat. The boat is approx. 5 tons, has a 3 blade fixed prop and I've had it under sail going over 6 knots and I have never had it regenerate. This of course was a big selling point when I chose to install the system, so yeah, I'm abit disappointed. But I haven't given up! I see no reason why the motor controller can't be adjusted/ tweeked (I'm looking into it) and possibly the prop switched out for a 4 blade with maybe wider blades? A ski boat prop perhaps? Of course that would increase the drag and slow the boat down- but on a heavy displacement cruiser, by how much? ...Still lots to discover and figure out and I'm sure many others are thinking the same thing.
>
> Thanks,
> -Greg
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment