Friday, March 25, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: What happens when an electric motor gets wet.

 

This is the seas that the cray boat was built for , the video shows what happens when you try to race in them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R31yDlUOip4&NR=1 . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMjlcE_UxQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp .
I have a video given to me by a local cray boat man showing him in much worse conditions than this , in his 60 ft cray boat.
But on his inside , is a much smaller wooden Tasmanian cray boat , just like I intend buying , bobbing along.
They are built to handle extreme conditions.
I paid a short visit recently to a local cray boat that is now derelict , and there was a bloke their telling his son about his experiences on the boat.
One that I remember was that they were caught in really foul weather , just offshore from where I live.
They had waves crashing right over the boat , pushing her right down in to the water , and then she would bob up again , and her 5 cylinder Gardner kept chugging along.
This bloke said he was petrified with fear , but the old skipper kept her pointed to home , and eventually she got there.
I know when I am on Coastguard duty , sometimes the weather is that bad that virtually no boats go out.
But late in the morning , the old wooden cray boats come in , having spent the night out in those conditions , working.
Thats the sort of boat I want.
Rob J. 


From: Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@yahoo.com.au>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 26 March, 2011 9:49:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: What happens when an electric motor gets wet.



Eric , just keep me in mind , when you are electric motor sailing , and when someone else comes out with a new hybrid setup.
If I manage to get the crayboat I'll put her rebuild up on the forum .
I'm looking forward then to taking her back to her "home ground" , Tasmania , but to do that means crossing the often treacherous Bass Strait , and then down in to the Southern Ocean , if I think the boat (and I) are up to it.  
But anyway , wish me luck.
My boat , which is a real beauty , is on the market , and if I sell ,I'll be grabbing this cray boat , and start all over again.
BOATS ! , what money sinks !.
Rob J.


From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 26 March, 2011 9:13:05 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: What happens when an electric motor gets wet.

Hi Rob,

You've presented one of the few use cases where I could believe that a hybrid setup might be justified.  The promotional material from the global vendors seems a bit contrived to me, but I guess that they're aiming at those to whom money is no object.

I've enjoyed our conversations and the mental exercise.  Good luck with the project.  If there's anything alse I can contribute, just ask. 

Fair winds,
Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Eric.
> I guess I start with the boat.
> If I do manage to get it , then I'll start doing it up , whatever needs to be
> done will be done.
> I'll set up the sailing aspect of it too , as well as can be.
> Again , 2 fields I can use expert help from a boatbuilder about 1/2 an hour
> away.
> Then , make the decision , of whether I can go hybrid or not.
> I can see a very practical reason to go hybrid , because to motor sail with the
> diesel won't be good for the diesel , while it would be perfect for electric
> power , and the battery weight will be no problem , I'm going to have to put
> ballast in the boat anyway.
> All electric is out , its just not practical at all.
> But I could spend 3 times the dollars on a hybrid setup what I paid for the boat
> , and have something that is going to worry me , if it can't handle a bit of
> water.
> Make haste slowly.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 


 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment