Thursday, March 10, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers

 

Eric wrote:
"If I slow the motor below 200 rpm, it seems to run less smooth. I think that the permanent magnets of the Mars motor start "stepping" at very slow speeds. Has anyone else noticed anything similar with the Mars PMAC motor? I'm running a Gen4 controller."

Hi Eric,
I running the same motor with the Sevcon Millipak PMAC controller.
I get a definite "growl" at very low RPMs. As you suggested, I suspect it has to do with the cogging of the PM rotor.

In addition I have a pronounced "singing" or "ringing" at some speeds.

James mentioned that the Gen4 controllers, when properly configured, were a better match for the MARS PMAC motor with regard to noise. I had considered swapping out my controller for a quieter version, but now I'm not so sure. Does your installation have a similar singing or ringing noise? I have known of other MARS PMAC/Sevcon Milliak installations that had the same noise issues I am experiencing.
Sound insulation has helped, but it is still irritating.

-Tom

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment