Thursday, March 10, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Thrust to speed numbers

 

Hi Geo,

If we're talking prop shaft speed, then my Yanmar SVE12 had an operating range of about 400 to 1600 rpm. My electric drive is configured for 80 to 750 rpm.

If I slow the motor below 200 rpm, it seems to run less smooth. I think that the permanent magnets of the Mars motor start "stepping" at very slow speeds. Has anyone else noticed anything similar with the Mars PMAC motor? I'm running a Gen4 controller.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, GNHBus@... wrote:
>
> friends call me Geo,
>
> I consider shaft rpm an identifier for propeller thrust.
>
>
> In a message dated 3/10/2011 2:34:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> ewdysar@... writes:
>
> GNHBus,
>
> Just curious, when you think RPM, are you thinking of motor speed or prop
> shaft speed? (I'm guessing motor speed). I'm only bringing that up because
> we've all got different reduction ratios, so any reference to RPM in motor
> terms will need to be qualified with reduction ratio for any meaningful
> comparisons.
>
> It's similar to why we use watts and watt hours for loads and capacities,
> amps and amp hours don't mean much without stating the voltage.
>
> Eric
>
> --- In _electricboats@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:elec
> tricboats@yahoogroups.com) , GNHBus@ wrote:
> >
> > Based on this great info below,validated by the "pull tests" it becomes
> > easy to see how converting to electric propulsion for sailboats @ 3-4
> knots
> > allows for applying the Instant Torque
> > Power Curve to a very efficient propeller at relatively low rpms
> > (@1000-1800)
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment