Friday, March 18, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators

 

IMO using a portable generator on board just takes common sense. If I'm in a marina there is no need to run a generator. That's where you have dockside power and that's what I would use. It would be foolish and fuelish to operate a generator where there is a ready supply of grid electric.  Like Eric mentioned you need to know where to position the generator so the exhaust points away and over the side. Again it's just common sense. I think Rob and his fellow Coast Guard have probably seen their share of people who may not have been the brightest bulbs in the bunch. But, IMO my boat is safer now then when I had a diesel engine on board. I certainly carry less fuel on board and have no chance of a pump or fuel hose failure spraying diesel fuel on a hot engine down below. As for the safety of gasoline for the generator I have always carried gasoline on board. For my 2 HP outboard for the dingy. Indeed most cruising sailboats carry gas for their outboards on board. But, you need to carry common sense on board too.
 
Capt. Mike
 

--- On Fri, 3/18/11, amracel@stuffandjunk.net <amracel@stuffandjunk.net> wrote:

From: amracel@stuffandjunk.net <amracel@stuffandjunk.net>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:04 PM

 
I have been reading with interest this discussion of portable generators. The marina owner where I have my boat flat out told me that I would need to find another marina if he saw me using such a device because he considered them dangerous on a boat. His big concern was exhaust build-up in the cabin.

Thoughts?

Anne Racel
Yorktown, VA

Please excuse the brevity. Droid's scribbling as much as he can.



__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment