Sunday, March 20, 2011

[Electric Boats] What is the optimum shaft speed?

 


2 Quick 'Opinion' Questions!

1 - What is the 'best' max speed to have the shaft running at?

note- I will be starting by using a standard style prop that was driven
by a direct drive Atomic 4, but might also experiment later with thinner
high aspect props - in other words I want quick general answers, not
specific to various setups. (I am trying to design something
uncomplicated with 12 to 24 volts, belt drive, and need to look at
pulley sizes available.)

2 - are there any snags to rotating a dc motor with no load on the
wiring?

I know that it will act as a generator, but will there be snags like
internal heat being produced in some way?
(I am looking at multiple smaller motors and want to know what I can
safely do while fiddling with it all)

Thanks,
John

PS Thanks Kevin for response re resistors/chokes, interesting..... - but
I want all DC.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment