Friday, March 18, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Portable generators

 

Hi Anne,

Everybody is entitled to their preconceived ideas, but the way that Myles and Mike have described using their portables and the way that I use mine, the generator get located downwind with the exhaust pointed overboard. I can't imagine that the generator exhaust has any greater chance of collecting in the cabin than the exhaust from the diesel engine that I removed to start my conversion.

Of course, if he thinks that you would be running the generator below decks, then who knows....

Funny thing is that I know a number of sailors that carry the same portable generators to recharge their large 12V house banks quicker than their onboard alternators can. I see them regularly in anchorages, happily running on the foredeck to keep the noise as far from the cockpit as possible. Nobody seems to think twice about those boats.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "amracel@stuffandjunk.net" <amracel@...> wrote:
>
> I have been reading with interest this discussion of portable generators. The marina owner where I have my boat flat out told me that I would need to find another marina if he saw me using such a device because he considered them dangerous on a boat. His big concern was exhaust build-up in the cabin.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Anne Racel
> Yorktown, VA
>
> Please excuse the brevity. Droid's scribbling as much as he can.
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment