Tuesday, March 15, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27

 

Hi Guys,
I dug through my archives and found some old pics of my first electric installation. You can see them under "Jim McMillan..." in the photo section. It was done at Ventura Harbor (CA) back in 2004. I just sort of threw it together as a proof of concept so it ain't pretty. It did about 2kt at 900W, 3kt at 1500W, 4kt at 2800W, and 5kt at 5400W with the cheesy little fouled 9-inch prop as seen in the pics. I think the reduction was around 2.5:1 at the time.
The chain drive worked great for playing with ratios, but was horribly noisy. The motor was a Briggs E-Tek and controller was an Alltrax AXE with a reversing relay. I still laugh when I see the throttle control, I threw it together in about a half with some Radio Shack parts, scrap paneling, drywall screws and hot-glue. Anyhow, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.
Cheers,
Jim

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sloop_wasnt_me" <sloop_wasnt_me@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <boat_works@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Are you certain you can run the MARS 3001 at 72V? I thought it was spec'd at 48V nominal.
> >
> > I ask because the output of my Elcon charger is fixed at about 3V higher than I like to charge, and adding another cell to my battery bank would get me a bit more KWH and get the charge profile more in line with my needs.
> >
> > -Tom
> >
>
> I'm not positive but I think it will run okay at 72v, Tom. At least Kelly Controls thinks it will cause they sell a kit, with 48v (KBL48301) controller, but offer upgrade to the 72V controller and they throw in a 15A charger too. Obviously they mean for the motor to be run at 72V or they would not upgrade the charger. I will check for sure before placing an order. If it don't work out then I guess I still got my Atomic 4 to git 'er done.
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment