Sunday, December 6, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Catamaran

 


From: David Goldsmith

Off the cuff it sounds to me like you're dreaming.

8 of those PVL-68s is only a 544 watt array.

- I've been agonizing over this electric power option for almost a month
now and I finally figured I had to discuss this with people with more
experience than I have. Thanks for the quick and straightforward response!

From: Eric

There is no way that you can beat the power to weight ratio, economy, or
simplicity of regular outboards with any type of electric propulsion.

BTW, using lead acid batteries, 1000 pounds will get you 22.5 Kwh total,
13.5Kwh usable. With LiFePO4, 800 pounds can get you 32Kwh total, or 24 Kwh
usable for almost three times the cost. As somebody else mentioned, 8 PV68
panels will only provide 544w under optimum conditions, usually less than
400w, which won't drive you at 2.5 knots, or would take 4 sunny days to
charge 12Kwh at anchor.

- Thanks, Eric! Hey, I sailed my first catamarans out of Marina del Rey! A
Sol Cat and later a Nacra. I sailed the Tuesday night races for a while. I
remember many nights sitting becalmed just outside of that breakwall... ;)
I also have a very funny story about blowing down the channel at the public
boat launch in Santa Anna conditions and pitch polling right out in the main
channel in front of about a gazillion spectators... Lots of memories!

- I've read a little about the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. I think
they'll become a viable alternative once the auto manufacturers are using
them.

- I need lightweight solar. Is there something better than the PVL-68
laminates? I've searched around and these look like my best bet.

- I have a couple other methods of recharging batteries. My electric motors
can regenerate electricity and at anchor, I'll set up a wind generator.

- Besides propulsion, I'll be using a lot of electricity for refrigeration,
navigation electronics, water maker, pumps (bilge, baitwells and tuna
tubes), and lights, etc..

- Would it make better sense to go diesel electric and wait for the battery
technology to mature a little more?

- I'm not put off by the initial cost of the batteries. I know, over time,
they more than pay for themselves. Even more important, I'll always have
power. Something I may not have available while at sea for long periods of
time otherwise. I think the best thing about the LiFePO4 technology is
flexibility in shape. Instead of dedicating a large square battery
compartment, I can stash them in more convenient places where space allows.

- Thanks for all the advice!

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment