Thursday, December 24, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] 33 foot solar electric hybrid.

 

I think it depends on usage.

I cruise and fish and it is 20 miles to open water and a typical fishing
trip is 100 mile round trip.

The Electric capacity and range do nothing for me really as stated.

I find the performance of 5 Kt on electric and 10Kt on diesel significant

I am not sure if it is diesel electric or straight diesel cutting off
the generator. Seems you have electric only, diesel driving the electric
and diesel direct

Anyway seems the main use of electric is in and out of dock age, or
putzing inland waters. Not serious cruising on a straight power boat.

As for hull form. I run a 32 ft power trimaran and an efficient hull.

Have designed and built multihulls for 50 years. \

The main hassle with electric is the battery weight. In a monohull
where ballast is normal it is a straight substitute but we get rid of
ballast and so the battery weight becomes a big negative.

Back to lurking.

len

Andrew Gilchrist wrote:
>
>
> Len
>
>
>
> I can see why you think that but I am pretty sure this is a game of
> optimizing the hull to a specific and narrow operating speed (though
> realistic for a cruising boat) and minimising draught ie mass
>
>
>
> It on the right track BUT there are far more efficient platforms out
> there than this type of hull
>
>
>
> An drew Gilchrist
>
> www.fastelectrics.com <http://www.fastelectrics.com>
>
> 612 4982 5481
>
> Australia
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] *On Behalf Of *James Sizemore
> *Sent:* Thursday, 24 December 2009 3:52 PM
> *To:* electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> *Subject:* Re: [Electric Boats] 33 foot solar electric hybrid.
>
>
>
>
>
> I could not disagree more. Solar to keep the boat working off the hook
> for long periods of time. Electric to move the boat around for most
> trips, and backup power source when you want to take a day long trip.
> I will be doing mine with 2 KW of solar cells and two MasterVolt 10
> KW silent-prop electric motors, I'll be keeping my current generator
> for long range powering. I would buy a Styler instead of the
> generator and silent-prop's if I could afford two. But I'll have to
> live with what I can afford. If I was buying new I would be giving
> Greenline serious thought.
>
>
>
> The wonder of doing 90% of my boating with out noise and stink! Is
> what would draw me to this boat.
>
>
>
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 3:44 PM, captnlen wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> No offense but 20 miles at 6 K under electric.
>
> 700 at 10K under diesel.
>
> Dump the solar and electric generator and use the VW diesel period.
> Maybe solar to top house batteries but really it is a diesel low power
> displacement hull with a token solar to qualify as green
>
> Seat belt on,
>
> len
>
> James Sizemore wrote:
> > This is pretty much what I am building myself. As always someone beat
> me to the punch. Plus it is a production model. See the movie with the
> boat putting about. Pretty neat.
> >
> > http://www.greenlinehybrid.com <http://www.greenlinehybrid.com/>
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
>
> -- Live Long and Prosper
> Capt. Len Susman, retired
> Email : trikini2008@embarqmail.com <mailto:trikini2008%40embarqmail.com>
> Still available mirror site
> http://trikini.com <http://trikini.com/>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--

-- Live Long and Prosper
Capt. Len Susman, retired
Email : trikini2008@embarqmail.com
Still available mirror site
http://trikini.com

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment