Monday, December 28, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Source for coupler (14 spline, 5/8ths shaft) to motor or pully

 

My advice is to buy a used lower unit pinion gear for a similar outboard.  Many outboards have the same standard 14-point spline shaft at each end of the driveshaft.  My 1980’s Tohatsu M25B shaft fit a 1960’s or so Johnson 20-30HP lower unit pinion gear.  For $35 I bought a used pinion gear from the local marine repair yard, and with a $15 keyway coupler, I had a machinist grind one end of the pinion gear piece until it reached 7/8” diameter and slipped into the 7/8” keyway coupler----the rest of the job was to JBWeld the two together---has worked flawlessly for several years now.  Didn’t bother to grind the pinion gear’s gear---it just spins away at the top of the driveshaft driving nothing.

 

In case this helps-

 

-Myles

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of williamdickenson55
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:47 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Source for coupler (14 spline, 5/8ths shaft) to motor or pully

 

 

I am about to get seriously into converting an old outboard to electric. I've got all the parts laid out except one. Is there a commercial source for a coupler that would slide onto that 14 spline 5/8ths inch outboard that would be suitable for either direct drive to an outboard, or into a pulley. I'm trying to avoid the cutting and welding end of this if I can.

I've seen quite a few comments, but not one that specifically mentions a source.

Thanks

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment