Sunday, December 20, 2009

[Electric Boats] My conclusion

 

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking here for a few months now and have learned a great deal from all of you. Thank you! I now realize my project is much simpler than what all you sailors have to deal with when using electric motors in open waters. I have a 24' pontoon boat that is exclusively used on a chain of small inland lakes here in northeastern Ohio. The boat currently has a 10 year old 40 hp Mercury 4 stroke outboard. While I occassionally open up the throttle in the speed/ski zone, most of time is spent a little above idle puttering around the lakes. The Mercury is now getting finicky. It is hard to start if it hasn't been used for a week and vibrates at low speeds (which is 99% of the time). I want to change to an electric motor which is why I subscribed to this group.

I seldomly need to worry about high winds. I never have to worry about currents. Battery weight has very little impact. Even safety isn't an issue since even though I can take a 17 mile trip around the shoreline of these canal-connected lakes, I am never more than 1/4 mile from shore and am usually within 50 feet of shore. My conclusion is a Torqeedo 4.0R with four 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries would easily meet my needs. Does anyone have a better idea or disagree with my conclusion?

Thanks,
Pat

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment