Sunday, December 6, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Catamaran

 

I agree with what others are saying, that using electric for long-range auxiliary power is unrealistic with your constraints. However, going electric for maneuvering in harbors and getting it on and off the trailer is a good idea. Electric is ideal for auxilary power for sailboats. No engine to start, no sea cocks to open, and instant reverse.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gow" <billgow@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Group!
>
>
>
> I just joined today. The reason for my interest is finding help in planning
> out an electric alternative to conventional internal combustion engines on a
> catamaran I'm beginning to conceptualize.
>
>
>
> The dimensions will be ~ LOA 36', Beam 22', Mast Height 60'. It will be a
> light, fast, demountable sailboat that will fit on a trailer ~ 8' wide for
> towing anywhere. I may consider going into production if this works as I
> plan. The first one will be used to do a lot of fishing in the Pacific Ocean
> from Mexico to Panama. Weight is critical! Reliable power is critical. The
> boat will have all the necessary systems to sustain 4 adults for extended
> voyages, maybe even an ocean crossing some day. 3 or 4 knots in calm waters
> is of no use to me. I have to be able to control my boat in high winds and
> surging ocean currents and troll or motor at above 6 knots for extended
> periods. I have a couple things most sailboats do not, twin hulls = less
> weight for a much larger usable space and a huge hard bimini top for solar
> (~13'X14'). I'd like to cover this bimini with something like the Uni-Solar
> (http://www.uni-solar.com) PVL-68 laminates. I figure I can get 8 of the
> them up there and they'll weigh less than 100 Lbs.
>
>
>
> It looks like my bogey is battery weight. There is no way I'm adding a ton
> of lead to this boat! I can get great performance from a couple 20HP
> outboards that weigh less than 120 Lbs each. Is there any hope of electric
> propulsion or am I dreaming?
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment