Monday, December 28, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] Re: Source for coupler (14 spline, 5/8ths shaft) to motor or pully

 

I’m racking my brain to understand what you’re suggesting, but I think I understand now.

It sounds to me like you are describing a 5/8” ID coupler that slips over the spline and to make it mesh with the spline, you’d need to machine down the key and either (1) narrow the key width at the OD to the spline gap width or (2) cut a slot in the key along its length to make the key grab 2 teeth instead of one.

You’re asking for the coupler to transmit a lot of torque thru a very narrow 1 or 2 teeth instead of 14.

It would work though.

 

-mt

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of danbollinger
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 6:12 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Source for coupler (14 spline, 5/8ths shaft) to motor or pully

 

 

Myles' idea is a good one. Here's another. Buy a regular 5/8" drive coupler (there are dozens of different types) that uses a square key to transfer power. Then, grind or file the key to fit one of the spline grooves.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "williamdickenson55" <williamdickenson55@...> wrote:
>
> I am about to get seriously into converting an old outboard to electric. I've got all the parts laid out except one. Is there a commercial source for a coupler that would slide onto that 14 spline 5/8ths inch outboard that would be suitable for either direct drive to an outboard, or into a pulley. I'm trying to avoid the cutting and welding end of this if I can.
>
> I've seen quite a few comments, but not one that specifically mentions a source.
>
> Thanks
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment