Thursday, December 24, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: New file uploaded to electricboats

 


I see reduced number of charging cycles of a deeper DOD as an advantage .It depends how much life you would like to trade away. However I wouldn't recomend going near 100% except in an emergency as it can be difficult to establish that you started with a genuinely fully charged battery.I fully agree that the ideal treatment of a battery is to recharge to maximum as soon as possible and trickle maintain it whenever its not in use.
Chris S
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, postal6@... wrote:
>
> Good luck Skip, I installed an electric yacht in my Ericson 27 and I am
> completely satisfied with the performance. I have heard that Trojan
> batteries are strong performers, but eight years is really great
> endurance.
>
> Don Swanson
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:16:57 -0500 Skip von Niederinghausen
> <farharbour@...> writes:
>
> My beach house is on an island off the coast of Connecticut, and I
> only have solar power for lighting TV and refrigeration.My power is
> stored in Trojan T105 batteries. During the rainy New England summers, I
> have flattened my batteries completely on several occasions each
> summer and they still seem to come back. My system equalizes the
> cells every three weeks and although I bought the battery bank in
> 2001, they are still going strong , well past there 5-7 year life
> expectancy. I would imagine that a battery bank that rests and is fully
> charged and trickle charged all week would last. That said I am
> putting an AGM bank in my 34' Moody . I already have the
> electricyacht 260i system to intall.
>
> Skip
>
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Eric <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hardy,
>
> My take away from that document is that every 100% DOD cycle reduces your
> battery's life by 0.28% compared to 0.1% for a 50% DOD cycle. While the
> total stored energy delivered is only reduced by 30% if one consistently
> uses a 100% DOD, the number of available charging cycles is reduced by
> more than 60%.
>
> But this does show that a single complete discharge will not "kill" your
> battery bank. Something that is not covered in this document is the
> importance of recharging the battery bank as soon as possible, leaving
> the batteries completely discharged continues to reduce the battery's
> ability to store energy, reducing its lifespan further.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > This email message is a notification to let you know that
> > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the electricboats
> > group.
> >
> > File : /batteryLIFE.JPG
> > Uploaded by : hardy71uk <p0054107@>
> > Description : typical lead acid life times showing the effect of heavy
> DOD is not as great as often stated
> >
> > You can access this file at the URL:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/files/batteryLIFE.JPG
> >
> > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
> >
> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/forms/general.ht
> mlfiles
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > hardy71uk <p0054107@>
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> Nutrition
> Improve your career health. Click now to study nutrition!
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=SnJ5_CJXVutthZhnBQx-oAAAJ1BRpLk93JI2ycPqWaW1WjpDAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment