Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New file uploaded to electricboats

 

Good luck Skip, I installed an electric yacht in my Ericson 27 and I am completely satisfied with the performance.  I have heard that Trojan batteries are strong performers, but eight years is really great endurance.
 
Don Swanson
 
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:16:57 -0500 Skip von  Niederinghausen <farharbour@gmail.com> writes:
 

My  beach house  is on an island off the coast of  Connecticut,  and I only  have  solar  power for lighting TV and  refrigeration.My power is stored in Trojan  T105 batteries. During the rainy New England summers, I have  flattened my  batteries  completely on  several occasions each summer  and they  still  seem to come back.  My  system equalizes the  cells  every three weeks  and although I  bought the  battery  bank in  2001, they are  still  going  strong ,  well past there  5-7 year life expectancy. I would imagine that  a battery bank that rests and is fully  charged and  trickle  charged all  week would last. That said I am  putting an AGM bank in my 34'  Moody  .  I  already have the  electricyacht 260i  system to intall.

Skip

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Hardy,

My take away from that document is that every 100% DOD cycle reduces your battery's life by 0.28% compared to 0.1% for a 50% DOD cycle. While the total stored energy delivered is only reduced by 30% if one consistently uses a 100% DOD, the number of available charging cycles is reduced by more than 60%.

But this does show that a single complete discharge will not "kill" your battery bank. Something that is not covered in this document is the importance of recharging the battery bank as soon as possible, leaving the batteries completely discharged continues to reduce the battery's ability to store energy, reducing its lifespan further.

Fair winds,
Eric

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, electricboats@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
>
> Hello,
>
> This email message is a notification to let you know that
> a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the electricboats
> group.
>
> File : /batteryLIFE.JPG
> Uploaded by : hardy71uk <p0054107@...>
> Description : typical lead acid life times showing the effect of heavy DOD is not as great as often stated
>
> You can access this file at the URL:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/files/batteryLIFE.JPG
>
> To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/forms/general.htmlfiles
>
> Regards,
>
> hardy71uk <p0054107@...>
>


 


____________________________________________________________
Nutrition
Improve your career health. Click now to study nutrition!

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment