Tuesday, December 15, 2009

RE: [Electric Boats] APC Props = was kipawa

 

Great suggestion Denny-

 

Check out their list of props

http://www.apcprop.com/pindex.asp

 

For the price of a kipawa, you could by 10 or 12 of these in a variety of sizes and get the best match.  They even have SlowFlyer props (SF) which are designed for low rpm, higher thrust and have wider blades, and SlowFlyerPusher (SFP) that are designed to push (more efficient than using a tractor prop).  Even 3 and 4 bladed if you want to get adventurous (although they are quite a bit more).

 

Kevin

 

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dennis wolfe
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:55 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Pitch of Kipawa Propeller

 

 

There is another better and much cheaper way if you do not need the weedless aspect of the Kipawa or OEM props. 

 

Use an APC model airplane prop.  They come in dozens of different sizes and cost about $3.00 each.  You can buy lots of sizes to try - with an ammeter and a gps you can measure the efficiency of each one.  I get mine from Tower Hobbies.

 

I got a 30% increase in range using a 10x6 prop on a MK Endura 36 driving a 14' canoe.  I got an even better increase by making an NACA 0025 fairing for the 1 1/8" dia shaft.

 

The APC props just need to be drilled out to 3/8" and a notch for the MK shear pin milled with a Dremel tool.  Pretty easy to do.

 

Lots of details here:

 

Denny Wolfe

 

----- Original Message -----

From: Bill Gow

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:27 PM

Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Pitch of Kipawa Propeller

 

 


From: gregory_west2001

I had a bizarre exchange with the Kipawa propeller customer service number
today. I emailed the customer service yesterday to ask the diameter and
pitch of a Kipawa prop for a MK Endura 30/34 and received a response email
today with the diameter, which apparently is not a secret, and the statement
"We do not give out the pitch of the Kipawa Propeller."

When I called and asked them why in the world they would not tell me the
pitch on the prop, since it is what it is and since it is not a trade
secret, I was told that I could order one and measure it and return it if I
wanted but they would not give it out.

I am in still interested in knowing the pitch of the prop (without ordering,
measuring and returning one if it has a pitch I don't want). I have
variously seen the pitch online as being listed as 6" or 9". Does anyone
know the pitch of the Kipawa props? If so, and assuming Kipara did not have
you sign a nondisclosure agreement as a condition of the purchase, would you
let me know the pitch? Thank you.

[Bill Gow] Perfect timing! I just got a reply from them a couple minutes
before you posted this. I'm looking at props for the Minn Kota and
Motorguide electric motors as well. I'm wondering if one can use the bigger
motors with bigger after market props. This is what I got back;

"If your just looking for speed our props on average show a 10 - 15%
increase of speed over the standard Minn Kota Propeller."

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment