Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] Backup option.... voltage pumps in parallel?

 

Buddy of mine used a 2hp seagull for the dock. It works but I would double that for the channel.


On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:45 PM, oak <oak_box@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
Well, even if the conversion efficiency were up to 95% (which it might be for light loads - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now...),

After thinking about it more, I doubt this would be very practical.

To get 1000W of output, I'd have to have at least 1000W of input.
If I were running this off the 12V house bank, this would be at least 83A.
Unless I have a HUGE house bank, I'm not going to be able to pull 83A for any substantial length of time.


For the Catalina 22, in calm weather, I can possibly go as fast as 2.5-3mph on as little as 300-500W.

300W at 100% conversion efficiency would be about 25A - which is much more do-able.
300W should be within the range of the single conversion unit, and should be something a stout house battery should support for at least 20-30 min - enough to get the boat back into my slip.


From: Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@yahoo.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Backup option.... voltage pumps in parallel?

 
Conversion efficiency:up to 95%(input voltage,current;output voltage and current impact of conversion efficiency)
 
I don't want to be rude so I will say I suspect such claims are optimistic.
It wouldn't be polite to say bullshit.


On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:39 AM, oak <oak_box@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

I have ordered a couple of these power supplies to play with:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ1Y9N8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They'll take 10-60V as input, and boost it up to 80V  - as long as the output voltage exceeds the input voltage.
They're rated for 600W.

On my boat, I have a battery bank for the electric motor at 48V, and a second bank at 12V for the "house".

The thought was that perhaps, for short periods of time, in an emergency, could I run the 48V motor from one of these tied to the house battery?

The simple answer should be "yes, at low power".
The more complicated issue is if I want 1000W or so.

Can I safely tie the output of two of the voltage pump power supplies in parallel??
Should I put a diode after each one before tying them together?
Or maybe a very small resistor?






__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment