Wednesday, March 26, 2014

[Electric Boats] Re: Seahawk 17 Project

 

I hope it warms up soon so I can start doing something with this. The more I read the more questions I have. The limitations imposed by hull speed for each boats unique hull vs the maximum efficiency  you can wring out of the batteries vs voltage choice efficiency vs battery type vs prop selection etc is almost overwhelming with the lack of hard numbers to base anything on. I'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity displayed by the folks dabbling in this like the test rig link above and can understand the need for some order and consistency being discussed in the 5kw 10kw thread going on now. 


The more I think about things the more pleased I am for starting with the Endura Max 55. It's a relatively cheap entry price and it's relatively sophisticated with PWM control which gives it variable speed to utilize more prop options especially if you include overvolting as an option as some have already done. The power, while low, is certainly capable of moving a small displacement hull like mine - the challenge is in finding a happy medium you can live with in performance and battery life. It reminds me of a motor that used to be on lots of small and not so small sailboats - the small, relatively light, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hp british seagulls with their big and gear reduced (relatively) slow props. They would have been worthless on a powerboat but they pushed those sailboats up to hull speed no problem.  The 55 compares relatively well in power and rpm to the British seagull and I can't help but wonder if a similar prop might yield the same performance. Has anyone tried something similar? I've already ordered a few apc airplane props to try but for my situation I'm wondering if a seagull type propeller wouldn't be a better fit. The endura 55 has a 1200 rpm limit and might need to be overvolted to 15v, 18v, or even 24v to match rpm even more closely but some of the old seagull motors had 4 to 1 reduction and rpm range of 4000-5000. 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment