Sunday, March 23, 2014

[Electric Boats] Re: Seahawk 17 Project

 

Thanks for all the replies, it's appreciated. I will look into DEKA batteries - I'm somewhat familiar with AGM as I have been using one in my mower the last few years. I traded on craigslist for the motor - which looks new and works fine in my garbage can test tank - after joining here and reading up, I think we can live with a speed of 3 knots - theoretical hull speed is only 4.94 on the poor short thing and we are completely happy running that fast under Evinrude power when necessary although we would both be even happier to enjoy the peace and quiet of electric power. 


This project has 2 main goals:
 1.Get our trailered boat out on the lake more often by leaving the mast at home and skipping the setup/tear down time we need to get the boat under sail or back on the trailer and home. The extra 90 minutes (45min setup/45min teardown) makes it hard to go out for the evening vs the 10-20 minutes we'd spend launching/recovering with an inboard electric. Get home at 5, quick change of clothes, wife packs up dinner, I unplug charger and hitch up boat, 20 minute drive to the lake and in the water by 6 so we can cruise till 9 or 10.
2. Replace our 2 stroke with something cleaner as our closest lake is used for drinking water and there is talk of banning 2 strokes. I've mainly looked into 4 strokes, torqueedos, and this trolling motor option. 4 stroke Tohatsu 6hp 25" w/FNR & 5amp charging circuit is $1530 at approximately 75 pounds including tank & fuel. Torqueedo 1003L is $2000 @ 33-75lbs dependent upon whether or not I bring a 1k generator as backup (I already have a yamaha genny). Minn Kota Endura Max 55  is cost of batteries & inboard charger - approximately $150 to $800 at up to 230lbs depending on number, type and weight of batteries and whether or not I bring the genny as backup.Obviously I'm leaning towards the trolling motor option but not just because of cost - there's a certain "fun" factor doing something yourself and I would prefer to have an inboard because it's less hassle for daily setup & trailering, much less likely to be stolen or even noticed if you leave the boat unattended, and you can use the rudder for steering w/no worries.  

Currently I'm basing all my calculations on reaching the 3 knot speed at a draw of 25 amps or essentially 1/2 throttle which is just reasonable speculation at this point.  I should probably do some testing before tearing the motor apart or drilling a hole in the hull. Should be easy enough as it's set up for a transom mount currently but the weather hasn't been too great so far this year. 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment