Wednesday, March 19, 2014

[Electric Boats] two DC systems onboard?

 

Good Day,

I am replacing my diesel with an 36v, Elco electric motor and installing the required battery bank on my Stone Horse Sloop. I've been happily getting along with a trickle charger to maintain my "house" battery that has the simple tasks of powering my running lights and  couple of cabin lights. In my future (thinking that I have all of this new, 36v potential power) I might consider several more appliances, such as a stereo, VHF, additional lighting.

Here's the question from an inexperienced DIYer.........should I maintain two different DC systems, one for the motor, one for the house or should they be married into one system and manage my "house" needs with a converter(s) or some other appliance? I will be recharging exclusively with shore power. The boat is used almost exclusively as a day-sailer. I have every confidence that I can do the electric motor install (if segregated from the existing system) by myself, but am fearful of a costly mistake combining the two DC systems. Thanks in advance. John

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment