Friday, March 21, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] two DC systems onboard?

 

John:

I have two separate systems on my boat though I tend to cruise and very rarely just day sail. I like the redundancy and am not in one who likes all the eggs in one basket approach. That said I will at times tap into my 10 kw propulsion bank when the need arises.  For example if there are several days of cloudy weather and the 12 volt solar panels are showing signs of not keeping the house bank fully charged. I'll then use a 300 watt 48 volt to 12 volt converter to run things like my laptop or refrigeration during the overnights until the sun comes out again. My EP banks is charged by both solar and a wind turbine (last option is the Honda 2000) but, tapping into it's energy is usually replaced quite quickly at anchor so it's ready when sail on. With this system I could lose either bank totally and still be able to call for assistance. I like having back ups. But, that's just me.

Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com  


On Friday, March 21, 2014 12:37 PM, "jlwuja@gmail.com" <jlwuja@gmail.com> wrote:
 
Good Day,
I am replacing my diesel with an 36v, Elco electric motor and installing the required battery bank on my Stone Horse Sloop. I've been happily getting along with a trickle charger to maintain my "house" battery that has the simple tasks of powering my running lights and  couple of cabin lights. In my future (thinking that I have all of this new, 36v potential power) I might consider several more appliances, such as a stereo, VHF, additional lighting.
Here's the question from an inexperienced DIYer.........should I maintain two different DC systems, one for the motor, one for the house or should they be married into one system and manage my "house" needs with a converter(s) or some other appliance? I will be recharging exclusively with shore power. The boat is used almost exclusively as a day-sailer. I have every confidence that I can do the electric motor install (if segregated from the existing system) by myself, but am fearful of a costly mistake combining the two DC systems. Thanks in advance. John


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment