Monday, August 6, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of 34' 10T sailboat to electric.

 

James Lambdon,
I am thinking of installing electric motor conversions , here in the midwest, yes we have sailboats , and plenty of em, I grew up in Ventura county and around SB where you are, but I came here for a job about 30 years ago , now I am stuck here. so I might as well make the best of it, eh. I have been fixing boat for people for 30 years and I am a mechanical engineer , before that I was , or I guess still am a machinist. so I can make most anything. Would you be interested in working with me on this? I have also sold million dollar CNC machinery so , I can fairly close a deal too. Well , I was impressed with the equipment you demo'ed on the videos I watched all afternoon yesterday. I have talked with the people at electric yacht and master volt , but actually your set up seems better than both of those. So I am interested in selling and installing them, of course we all prefer to sell what we conceive to be the best products .
Don Bland; dlblandjr@att.net


From: James Lambden <james@toolboat.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, August 6, 2012 11:09:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of 34' 10T sailboat to electric.

 

Paul,



We are doing a conversion of a 10 Ton boat right now.

We are using a 10 KW Electroprop from Propulsion Marine.

I'm glassing in a mount for the gearbox to make room for a 72 volt system.  I haven't decided on the battery chemistry yet but considering Odyssey TPPL or Sinopoly Lithium.  

There only place on the boat to mount the batteries is around the engine so power density is an issue.   

The system is water cooled so the batteries can be in closer proximity to the motor.


James







On Aug 5, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Paul Hannah wrote:

 

Hi,


As the subject say, I'm about to rip out the old deisel and convert my 34' 10T sailboat to electric.

I'm on the north east coast of australia so if anyone can recommend a dealer to talk to nearby, I'd appreciate a link/name.

The 2 options I'm working on at the moment are:

Propulsion

Option 1: Internal

* 2 x 5-15kw motor (thinking about Motenergy ME0909)
* 2 x matching controllers (Alltrax AXE4844)
* 2 x bank of 15 (16 for easier mounting?) LiFePO4 Cell 3.2V 200Ah (Thunder Sky LFP200AHA)

We'll build the mounting system ourselves, the plan is to set it up to be able to handle another 1-2 motors in a similar range.

Option 2: Pod

* 2 x MasterVolt PodMaster 6.5 (I'm assuming this is steady-state power and they will burst above that if required?)
* 2 x controller as appropriate (it looks like they come with a matched controller.)
* 2 x battery banks as above.

Can't get a good price on the pods, but the bare motors/controller pairs are about $1,000 and the batteries about $10,000.

Charging

Wind

* 1(/2?) x 48v 400W Air-X Marine (might initially install one, see how that goes.)

Solar

* 4 x 12v 120W Solar.

Deisel

* 2.2KVA generator.

Marina

* 240v -> 48v charger.

That will come to $1,500 per Air-X and about the same for the panels and about $3,500 for the generator and $800 for the charger. 

So in my mind I'm counting on around $20,000, but might creep higher.

Very interested in everyone's opinion before I jump in with both feet and all our savings.

Thanks,
Paul.


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment