Monday, August 6, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of 34' 10T sailboat to electric.

 

Hi Paul


Maybe I can help...  I have been tinkering with electric boats for a few years now, primarily my own trimaran (see currentsunshine.com ) to begin with but lately I've been working on a couple of monohulls just a little larger than yours.

I am a Torqeedo dealer and also represent propulsion marine here downunder.  I'm sometimes at Pittwater and often enough at Monty's Marina just north of Brisbane.

I've been down the path of using a pod and had trouble with its watertightness. That said I don't have experience with the Mastervolt pods and cant really comment on those.

I have used thundersky batteries on two of my own boats and helped install them on two others and about to do so on another couple of projects coming up.

You might want to take a look at the D400 wind generators and which have good performance at low wind speeds.  Cos if you're like me you'll be wanting to anchor in the least windy place you can find :)

Whichever system you choose I'd be happy to help with advice.  Contact me off list if you'd like to chat more.

Cheers

Chris

On 06/08/2012, at 12:44 PM, Paul Hannah wrote:

 

Hi,


As the subject say, I'm about to rip out the old deisel and convert my 34' 10T sailboat to electric.

I'm on the north east coast of australia so if anyone can recommend a dealer to talk to nearby, I'd appreciate a link/name.

The 2 options I'm working on at the moment are:

Propulsion

Option 1: Internal

* 2 x 5-15kw motor (thinking about Motenergy ME0909)
* 2 x matching controllers (Alltrax AXE4844)
* 2 x bank of 15 (16 for easier mounting?) LiFePO4 Cell 3.2V 200Ah (Thunder Sky LFP200AHA)

We'll build the mounting system ourselves, the plan is to set it up to be able to handle another 1-2 motors in a similar range.

Option 2: Pod

* 2 x MasterVolt PodMaster 6.5 (I'm assuming this is steady-state power and they will burst above that if required?)
* 2 x controller as appropriate (it looks like they come with a matched controller.)
* 2 x battery banks as above.

Can't get a good price on the pods, but the bare motors/controller pairs are about $1,000 and the batteries about $10,000.

Charging

Wind

* 1(/2?) x 48v 400W Air-X Marine (might initially install one, see how that goes.)

Solar

* 4 x 12v 120W Solar.

Deisel

* 2.2KVA generator.

Marina

* 240v -> 48v charger.

That will come to $1,500 per Air-X and about the same for the panels and about $3,500 for the generator and $800 for the charger. 

So in my mind I'm counting on around $20,000, but might creep higher.

Very interested in everyone's opinion before I jump in with both feet and all our savings.

Thanks,
Paul.


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment